Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Let's start this thing off

Hey, look, it's another blog about living by bike.....um, yea.  Seems cliche these days.  At least it does in the circles I interact with.  Still, I think there is a lot of discourse and information sharing left.  New products that make living car-lite easier, musings, thoughts, experiences, fun pics to share are all good reasons in my eyes.

So, for me this all started off as a kid living outside of town.  Rural subdivision life.  Not too bad considering we didn't actually live in the subdivision (behind it) and my childhood home consisted of 4 acres of fields surrounded by more of the same on three sides.  Sounds great doesn't it?  Well, it was until I was around 12 and the lack of bus service and willingness of my Mom to drive me around like a chauffeur let me to realize that my trusty old Huffy 10 speed (red with yellow stripes and heavy as the lead pipe it seemed to be made out of) was more than just a fun thing to ride.  Longer rides led to longer rides and suddenly I could go to the movies on my own.  Pretty neat I thought.  That was about the only thought I gave it until now, as, 30ish years later, I reconsider my ensuing lifestyle riding bikes.  It's like Ratty says after the Mole enquires about boating.
'Nice?  It's the only thing', said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke.  'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.  Simply messing', he went on dreamily: 'messing about in boats'
 Well, if the water rat had been talking about bikes he couldn't have said it better in my opinion.  Some of the happiest moments in my life have been on the bike.  Cresting that last big hill after 50 miles of spinning in just one gear harder than you did the last ride; finding the perfect line through a corner and feeling the bottom bracket flex crisply as the bike flies through the apex; big smiles and a squeal as you daughter pedals her first feet on her own; the list goes on.  Many of the experiences that I link to bicycles are just as plausible without the bike but like Ratty and his river, bikes are in my blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment