Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sobering Morning

I've no idea the details of what happened but my morning ride was brought down a few notches.  There was an accident and a fire truck was blocking off half the intersection with cones put out to direct traffic.  It looked like they had been there a while.  I had seen an ambulance come up the street.  Normal driving, no lights, etc. so either no one was in it or they weren't hurt bad.....I don't want to think of the alternative.  As I rode by I saw the accident investigation people picking up a bike and trailer to load into the van.  I'm hoping there wasn't a kid in that trailer when the accident happened or that the child was not involved.  Either way my exuberance for my daughter starting to get the hang of riding is a bit on hold.  She's getting good but maybe not as good as I thought.  While her use of the brakes is getting more predictable she still puts both feet down before coming to a complete stop.  In surprise situations she target fixates pretty bad.  All in all she's not ready for riding outside of the protected area we create on our street.  It will be a bit before she rides downtown or to school.

Accidents with or without cars are of course an always present danger.  That doesn't mean I like seeing them.  I'd like seeing them even less if I am involved.  Like any rider I've had my share of accidents and a couple involved cars.  As for car related ones, one was OK but could have been really bad (broadsided by someone rolling through a red light while turning right) and the other was a non-issue (someone pulled out in front of me at a path crossing and I t-boned their back door at slow enough speed I didn't go over the bars).  The others were solo accidents so to speak.  That said, other then the normal crashes kids end up in when doing anything physical we've been very fortunate.  We stick to the side roads and paths where possible.  I'm far more careful when pulling the trailer than when I ride solo.  Well, maybe not more careful but we ride slower and take more time at stop signs.

What does it all mean?  I'm not sure.  Accidents happen.  Should that stop me riding or my kids riding?  No.  Should it reinforce careful habits?  For sure.  I hope everyone in the accident this morning is OK and I hope it was truly and accident and not some bonehead move on someone's part.  I still hope they are OK if that's the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment