Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Into Every Season A Little Rain Must Fall

We're into our spring cycle of rain now.  April was the snowiest we've had in something like 100 years and May started out with a foot as well.  Safe to say we're done with commuting in the snow for this season.  That said, the rain is here for a bit.  I pushed the envelope the other day with my son on the way to school and suited up halfway there in full rain gear (for him, not me.  I foolishly left my rain pants at home).  The funny thing is I don't think he would have minded getting wet if he could have gotten his face out of the rain.  He was tucked in behind me but ended up miserable and cold when we got there.  I felt bad but at the same time it left me wondering how and when can I get the kids to just deal with the wet and not worry about it.  I kind of feel like it isn't about getting out of the wet and cold but more getting them to endure it.  My daughter won't get on the bike if there is the slightest rumble of thunder (not a bad thing really but a couple of times we could have dashed home between showers if she was willing) and my son just doesn't like to get his face wet.  It's a conundrum I'm sure not to solve any time soon if ever.  I know they will outgrow it either by time or from repetition but the weather seems to be the biggest hurdle in bike living and it's something I never thought about before we started this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment